Saturday, October 17, 2015

Leg 7 - CYPC Paulatuk to PABR Barter Island

Total distance traveled: 3027nm
Route distance: 693nm
Plane used: BV-170
Route: CYPC - PABR



Well, that was eventful.

Flight plan was to go low and follow the northern coast to PABA.
I... kinda missed the stop. =]
I checked my position about an hour in, and found myself 120nm to the NW. As such, I decided to continue on to PABR.
120nm shy of reaching PABR, I looked down at my fuel.
Not bueno! I'm probably the worst pilot flying. I definitely wouldn't have been able to make it all the way to PABR. I checked my charts, and found an airport a miraculous 30nm away, Lonely As (PALN in Flightgear, AK71 in SkyVector). At about 20nm, I shut down the engines to save fuel, and glided most of the way in. The wind turned gnarly, and here's a shot of me landing. I had to turn that much to land straight on the runway.


Great! Refueled, took off, and ran into yet another strange thing - other pilots. I hadn't been around other pilots since KSFO! On my way in to PABR, a plane took off from there, and a pilot was inbound heading east up the coast. The wind had really kicked up, and clouds had moved in. I circled a couple times, making sure the runway was clear.


After making sure it was clear, I made for runway 07. The wind and snow was driving in. I was flying "straight" in the below pic.


After that, I sat around and watched as the other plane came in.


At the tip of northern Alaska, of all places.

No comments:

Post a Comment