Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Leg 11 - UEST Tiksi to UOOO Norilsk

Total distance traveled: 5476nm
Route distance: 842nm
Plane used: BV-170
Route: UEST - UOHH - UOOO



Change of plans - after tweaking the flight model, I don't think I can make the 1,600nm trip to CYLT, so instead I'm headed to UOOO via UOHH.
I decided to head out at dawn.


This was pretty much my view for most of the flight.


I was veeeeeeeery glad to arrive at UOHH. It was the longer leg of the journey, and arriving here meant I only had another 350nm to go.


At about 150nm to UOOO, the clouds rolled in. I tuned in my ATIS to here that conditions were worsening. "Expect ILS landing" and "snow falling and drifting" and "winds at 30kts" were... not was I was hoping for.

At about 80nm, I dipped down into the soup to confirm something I was worried about - Terrasync had  failed (again). I ended up having to jot down my GPS coordinates and restart after manually downloading the scenery. I don't think I'm ever going to rely on Terrasync again, but I'll keep it running in the background. It's just disheartening to make a ~900nm trip only to have to reset the simulator because you don't have the scenery.

Back on topic: the soup was thick, and IFR flight in the BV-170 is very hard. It just flat out doesn't have the instrumentation for it. My view:


I was glad it was dawn, so I could see the runway lights through the soup.



And this was my landing conditions. Holy moley.


So, there you have it. Aside from simulator issues, a moderately boring flight until the landing.

No comments:

Post a Comment