Friday, October 16, 2015

Leg 4 - CZML One Zero Eight Mile Airport to CAH4 Valemount

Total distance traveled: 1159nm
Route distance: 170nm
Plane used: BV-170
Route: CZML - CAH4



This flight was incredible.

I'm not going to lie. This is the first time I pre-planned a flight in FG. I'm a newb, what can I say? The pre-planning was worth it. I used skyvector.com.

I decided to go to Valemount (CAH4), mostly because it looked cool and in a valley. And I saw what looked like a neat-o lake (Kinbasket), so I decded to make a big loop and check it out. 100% worth it. My favorite flight in FG so far.

There were no VOR's or NDB's withing 100nm, so this was strictly a VFR flight.

The trip to Kinbasket was a dog. There was a cross wind that kept pushing me south, so I meandered farther that way than I had originally planned on. It was mostly flat, and uneventful. After Highway 5/Avola (where you can see my altitude climb up), however, things got muuuuuch better.

 I hit an amazing stretch of the northern Rockies:



 After flying through them for 15 - 20 minutes, I finally reached Lake Kinbasket. Absolutely gorgeous. The mountains were huge.


Here's the northern arm of Kinbasket. The airport I planned on landing at was just beyond this arm (shrouded in haze in this picture). If you notice, there were some fairly decent cliffs along the lake (center left in the below picture). I almost regret not flying closer.



Upon arriving at the airport, I was greated with a suprise. The picture quality is poor (still getting the hang of screenshotting, sorry), but you can see how there is a "hump" in the runway. When landing (going NNE), the runway goes a tad uphill, which greatly assisted in braking (and enjoyment, to be honest).






All in all, a fun flight. It helped me learn a lot about the aircraft, and flying in general.
On to leg 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment