Saturday, October 17, 2015

Leg 5 - CAH4 Valemount to CYZF Yellowknife

Total distance traveled: 1806nm
Route distance: 647nm
Plane used: BV-170
Route: CAH4 - CYXJ - CYZF



Two flight detail reports this time. My computer had the unfortunate happenstance of overheating on me as I was flying over Great Slave Lake. Fortunately, however, the computer saved the state of FG, so upon reloading it was right where I left off.

The flight "plan" for this one was to go from CAH4 Valemount and go to CYXJ Fort St John. After arriving approximately 20nm south of CYXJ, I checked the fuel reserves and decided to continue on. I set the plan on a northerly path and, after looking over the maps, decided I had to visit the Great Slave Lake. Thus, I plotted a course NNE and added an extra 400nm on top of my original plan.

The plane I used for this leg (and will probably continue using) is the Blohm & Voss P.170. The instrument panel doesn't have NDB nor VOR, is in German (which is a language I'm not familiar with), is in metric, has dials that aren't used (namely a "Nitro"), and the altimeter is a little funky. But it's a fast propeller plane, and it's a lot of fun to fly. As I'm primarily using GPS and SkyVector for VFR navigation, the lack of instrumentation doesn't bother me. Here's a view of the cockpit -

Here's a pick of the BV 170 shortly after takeoff, flying north over the Rockies.


After about half an hour of flying, the gorgeous mountains gave way to flat, monotonous plains.


I did decide to drop down from ~22000 ft over the mountains to 7500 ft, and then later 5500 ft (which I moderately failed at keeping).

Upon spying Tabitha Lake (below) after ~400nm of flying, I was happy to see that I was close. At that point, and after reviewing my fuel reserves, I pushed the throttle to the max and stretched them legs.


After Tabitha Lake came the Great Slave Lake. Here was me excited to finally see it after so long. This was the eastern portion of the lake, with Big Island (actual name) also pictured.


And a glamour shot at Great Slave Lake. Minutes before my computer overheated.


And finally spotting CYZF airport. It's there, deep in that haze. I was quite thrilled to make it. The runway was good and flat, and the landing was one of my best yet.




Before starting Leg 6, I'm going to be messing with the BV 170. It had originally been coded to hold only 100 pounds of fuel! I've increased that to the amount laid out in the information I can find online, which is approx. 6140 pounds, so I need to adjust the dials accordingly and test those out. I'm also going to mess with the altimeter, to see if I can get the numbers to line up better.

Happy flying!

No comments:

Post a Comment